Monday, May 4, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name...

As breeder or owner of a female, one gets to choose the names for the puppies born in a litter. It's a name on paper for the kennel club registration forms. The 'official' name. This is not necessarily the name that will stick once the puppy goes off with its pack members to it's new den. Any other chosen name is the pup's 'call' name.

Sometimes the call name will be somewhere in the registered name or will be referenced in the choice. 'Sweet Lily of the Valley' may be shortened to 'Lily.' 'Stars in My Eyes' may become 'Cassy', short for the constellation Cassiopeia.' You get the picture...

At times the new owners will figure out their own name for their new charge, that has no reflection on the official name. I had a pup go to his new home proudly sporting the name, 'Sandalwood Steppin' Out.' His owners decided on 'Carl.' No big deal!

"That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet."

Ten years ago, I had a big strapping puppy who reminded me of a locomotive coming at me. I decided on the name, 'Sandalwood SteamHeat.' It suited him perfectly.

I sold this puppy to a family out of country-first time I'd shipped a puppy anywhere. It was very difficult leaving him at the airport but I knew he'd be greeted by his new people within three or four hours. They called me later on that day and told me all was well and they were in love and would send photos.

There were photos of him arriving weekly, he'd settled in well.

When I received the official paperwork from the kennel club, I mailed them off right away to 'Heaters' owners.

The photos stopped coming....something was wrong!

About a month later I got an emotionally-charged phone call from Heater's parents. They had received his papers and wanted to change his name. They felt they couldn't use the name 'Steamheat' in public because they were Baptists and they felt the name carried a 'sexual connotation.'

I patiently explained my reason for choosing this name for the stocky little fellow but it was no use. I agreed they should call the pup whatever they chose-but his name would remain as it was on his registration papers.

They were going to write a letter to the kennel club and get his official name changed. They preferred 'Saxon.' They would get a lawyer if necessary!

I mentioned (as delicately as possible) the Saxons held far darker connotations for some. They invaded, raped, pillaged and murdered.

They contacted the kennel club and of course, were informed it's 'breeder's choice' where names are concerned.
That was the last time they contacted me, shared photos or let me know how he was doing. I called them a few times over the years but they never responded.

That was ten years and four months ago.

Last month, on Easter morning, I got an email asking me if I was the breeder who'd sold them 'Saxon'. I could easily have let them know I never had a puppy named Saxon but I took the higher road and joyfully told them yes! Was he still alive? Was he healthy? Happy?

Yes, he's healthy and happy. Yes, he's the best dog they've ever owned. Then I received the photos. I can tell he is much loved.

I'm told they will perhaps consider another pup from me in the spring....I will give serious thought before naming that one!

No comments: