Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Breed of Choice

It's no secret my breed of choice is the Great Dane.



In 1991 I purchased my first Dane. I knew nothing about the breed aside from it being one of the giant breeds, as well as being referred to as one of the 'grief' breeds. The latter label bestowed upon them (and most of the giant breeds) due to the special requirements in their growth stages and their shorter life expectancy.



I have been graced with having four Danes to date; my first, my heart-girl. She had one litter of pups. From that litter, I kept my 'pick'-another female. And then there were two.


The more I learned about these Danes the more I realized how much I admired them and my quest to know everything about their personalities, every nuance, every quirk, every characteristic, grew. From a behaviorist point of view, they were a real study.


A dog is a dog is a dog. Species first, (canidae) breed second, (Great Dane) and call name last.


By their very stature, they are set apart from so many other breeds. They are part lion, part lamb. They are sensitive to all energies (I have followed along behind one of my Danes as she tracked a single ant along a sidewalk, studying it every centimetre of it's journey with intense solemnity, at the same time exhibiting such a profound joy in her discovery!) and if you take the time to 'read' them, you realize they reflect their emotions in their facial expressions just as plainly as through their body language.


Their desire to live in harmony with their human is tantamount to their well-being. Their desire. They want to 'fit in' to their human's lifestyle and energy level. They don't expect you to alter your lifestyle (save the walks and outdoor exercise we all need more of!) to suit them, which is a noble quality in itself and is not so with many other breeds. They are an unassuming lot. They specialize in making their body fit the space alloted to them. (except in bed-where they like to take up as much room as possible!)


Providing guidance and leadership to two Great Danes has it's moments but with the older one, the mother, enforcing my rule with her off-spring, it was a peaceful existance.


After a few years and the required health checks, I bred the daughter, kept the 'pick' puppy-another female...and then there were three.

We were a family, a pack, with the hierarchy in place. I now owned three-generations, grand-dam, dam and her daughter.


With females (of any breed) one must always stay one step ahead of the brightest one.


We lived in peace and harmony in our 'den.' If there was discipline doled out or an admonishment, it came from me, always backed up by the now-veteran grand-dam, the QueenD.


This breed enjoys living in a pack situation, whether it's with other complimentary breeds or their own, they're happier, more fulfilled.


By the time they're beginning to mature at around two, two-and-a-half, they become breed specific where play is concerned. They will greet and be friendly with other breeds but recognize their (sometimes self-imposed) differences and will deign to share their nobility only on occasion.


When they've reached that magnificent age of a veteran...or senior at age seven, they sleep the sleep of an old dog, Raising their head from time to time with bleary-eyed acceptance, to nudge a warm nose into a close-by hand in loving gratitude.


I'm now back to a single companion, old paw time claiming the pieces of my heart one by one.

Never, ever ready to say goodbye to one when the inevitable time comes but the lessons they each leave me with, have been learned.

With their individual personalities, allowing me a glimpse into their internal mosaic, I move on with a richer understanding of the souls within the breed we refer to as The Great Dane!



No comments: