Friday, July 3, 2009

It's Your Responsibility

As we make our way over to the off-leash area, I do a quick check to see which dogs are in the enclosure.


There are three dogs at this end of the fenced-in area. One is conscious of our approach-a small mixed breed (I like to call them-Canadian Classics). He has approached the fence and is running back and forth barking at us. It's a contagious energy, as the other two-medium-sized dogs, who've now been alerted to a situation, are dutifully following behind the self-proclaimed leader of the pack, wondering what all the fuss is about.


I'm surprised Mighty-Mutt's owner isn't concerned with all the vocalizing and fence-aggression the dog's displaying but then I realize-the owner probably isn't aware there's anything wrong with this kind of 'welcome.'


The three dogs have gathered at the gate. Before I open the door, I tell them all to sit. The medium-sized dogs comply-the smaller one is in quite a frenzied state, frantic to be the first one to get acquainted with my girl. I wait.


This shouldn't be my responsibility! The owner of the dog is watching from a distance, still in conversation with the other dog owners...he half-heartedly calls the dog once, then returns to the conversation.


Some fancy footwork is necessary as I squeeze through the gate to ensure the little dog doesn't escape. I then invite my girl in.


Journey respectfully stands still, head held high, tail in a playful greeting, until the dogs have made their introductions.


A play-stance from the beagle and three of them are off--chasing, dodging one another and whipping around the bushes. Not Mighty Mutt though...


He is now chasing at my girl's heels, nipping and just generally being obnoxious-the pack is out of control in his opinion. He's striving for dominance. The others are paying him no attention.



Two times during play, Journey has stopped, turned to the little dog and told him to 'back off' by way of a growl. ( 'Can't you see I'm playing, I'm not interested in your energy, leave my hocks alone!!'). He's not deterred.


Before it escalates any further, I step in and leash my dog and we leave the immediate area. I look back and see the two medium-sized dogs playing while Mighty Mutt continues to bark us away.


I could have stayed and let the scene play itself out but instead, as pack leader, I chose not to allow a confrontation. Why the other owners were not hands-on in this mini-drama, I don't know. I do know there are far too many owners who aren't in-tune with their dogs, especially in a social setting where multiple personalities (both canine and human) are at play.


If you see your dog displaying anti-social behavior it's your responsibility to rein him in. Don't leave it for another owner to deal with. Don't call it 'cute' and please don't make excuses for the behavior!



Teach your dog! Know your dog!!

No comments: