Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An Indefensible Act

Early morning on the beach is wonderful!! The sun glistening on the water, heating up the sand.... a couple of miles of shoreline to run and play on-what dog could ask for more?


I try to get to the beach everyday, not just for my dog's sake but it's good for the soul. Balances me. I relax and appreciate the beauty nature has to offer. I enjoy this special time with my dog, while I laugh at her antics and appreciate her performances, whether it's clearing the shore of geese or chasing full-speed after imaginary prey, I am 'in the moment' with her.


As we shared time yesterday morning, strolling down the beach, I was brought back to reality when I heard someone calling. I looked up to see a police officer pointing at me, telling me to 'leave the area.'


I knew we weren't supposed to be on the beach since the by-law enforcers were ordered to start ticketing any dog owners who were on the sand earlier in the spring but they were on strike along with the CU PE 416 union here in Toronto.


I assumed I was about to get a ticket from a police officer but she wasn't coming toward me. She and another officer, along with two other people were huddled around a volleyball post. I kept walking but leashed my girl.


The officer called over to me again, telling me to 'walk the other way-get away from the area.'

I complied...slowly, readying my camera for what I wasn't sure.


We deeked around behind some bushes on the boardwalk and studied the situation more closely.


I saw they were surrounding two Akita/German Shepherd mixes.


These dogs were heavyweights. Well-muscled and frantic. They had hog poles around their necks and they were giving their captors a rough time.

After they secured the dogs in the Animal Service van, I approached them and asked what had happened.


Apparently, the dogs had been abandoned there-tied up on a foot of leash to a volleyball pole and left. They had been there quite awhile-perhaps even over-night--they were frightened, thirsty and hungry.



Our walk had taken a sour turn and as Journey and I made our way home, I wondered what kind of person-what situation would lead anyone to behave in such a heartless manner toward an animal who trusted them.
If these dogs were abandoned due to financial stress, any number of rescue clubs and services are always available with a phone call. Abandoning is an indefensible act!


I'll never get used to just how low some humans can stoop. Any lower and they can just slither along the ground with the lowly snake.

No comments: