Sunday, February 14, 2010

A SOUR TURN

We had some friends come visit from out-of-town today, accompanied by their sweet, if not overly self-conscious and insecure Great Dane.


Although a bit colder and windier than what's comfortable, there was sunshine! We bundled up and headed out to the beach for some off-leash time.


As we neared Kew Beach Skating Rink, it was evident from the cacaphony of sounds there were families out on the ice, enjoying the day.


It was as we rounded the boards that my day took a sour turn.


There, tied to the fencing, sitting on the frozen snow was a chocolate lab, shivering and staring in at the rink. Behind the dog was what appeared to be a set of ice skates.


I believe most dogs-except perhaps the seniors and infirm, benefit from exercise in our winter climate...if the dog is moving. If on the other paw, the dog is tied up, can't move more than one foot in any direction and its body starts to shiver-that's not good....or acceptable.


I really tried to ignore the situation and move along with my company toward the beach but ended up doubling back. My dog and I approached the shivering dog and I knew before I gave it a pat on the head what my responsibility was.


I approached the entrance of the rink and questioned in a loud voice, "who does this dog belong to?"


A male came skating over, followed by a female and told me he owned the dog.


I told him the dog was shivering and perhaps it needed to get inside and warm up.


The owner got a bit prickly at this point and told me to 'take your self-righteous attitude elsewhere.'


I could feel my blood-pressure warming up my body and had to ask him why oh why would he not take the dog for a walk, take it home then go skating??


He and his female partner then became verbally abusive. The dog still sat shivering.


When I caught up to my company (and their dog patiently waiting to get to the off-leash area) I offered my apologies for what they had to wait through.


For the record---dog walking is a separate activity from....grocery-shopping, stopping into a restaurant for a beverage and brunch, going into the local bar for a few.


For the past 7 or 8 years, I've been walking the same route with my dogs. This isn't the first time I've come across similiar sights. In the cold of winter or the heat of the summer pavement.


Last year, I contacted Parks & Rec and requested they consider making a by-law disallowing tying up dogs while enjoying a vigorous, body-warming workout on the ice.


There's no signage on or around the rink, so I assume my suggestion/request fell on deaf ears.


Too bad for the dogs.

No comments: