Thursday, February 11, 2010

HIP HIP HOORAY!

I'm planning on breeding my almost 3-year old girl in the near future. In order to ensure I've done all I can to produce healthy puppies, I will do some health testing. I won't be getting every test that's available but will cover the basics--heart, thyroid, hip x-rays and brucellosis. I expect the male we settle on using to have documentation on passing the same tests.



Hip xrays are an emotional test for any ethical breeder to do. If the dog's hips don't get a 'pass' on evaluation---you shouldn't breed your dog--no matter how beautiful it is or how many 'Best In Breed/Group' the dog has won!



Two weeks ago, I started searching for a veterinarian to do the hip x-rays. I wanted to ensure the same tragedy didn't take place as did with my last dog I got hip x-rays done on.



I had taken her to a vet who does alot of hip clearances. The selling point for me, although quite a drive to this vet's place, was a foam cradle that's placed on the exam table to hold the dog still and in place while the x-rays are being done. That also means the dog is not resting its spine on the hard steel tabletop.


After she had a light tranquilizer they were ready to do the x-ray. I asked if I could be of help getting her onto the table but they declined my offer and asked me to 'stay back.' Three of them hoisted her up onto the table and into the cradle. Within seconds, my girl, whose care I had entrusted to two vet techs and a veterinarian, squirmed out of their grip and fell three feet to the floor...onto her back.


Needless to say their warning to 'stay back' was no longer my concern. I was there beside her, helping her up and trying to calm her.


I then told them I would help get her back up onto the table. I figured we were there, she had been sedated-we might as well finish this nightmare and be done with it. I was standing at her head, calming her and we got the x-rays.



Never to return to that clinic, thank you!


Enter Dr. John and the Caledon Mountain Veterinary Hospital http://www.caledonvet.com/ in the delightful town of Caledon; which by the way, has been awarded the 'safest town to live in' in Canada for two years running (Macleans Magazine).


The receptionist connected me with a vet tech who I shared my concerns and past experience with. She patiently assured me they too had a cradle to place the dog in and had never had a dog squirm out of their grasp while on the table (would she have divulged this info??!). I decided to make an appointment.



This time, I brought along two people who I knew to have an abundance of calm, positive energy and who my girl is very fond of...just in case (thank you Mishelle & Sean!).



Dr. John and everyone who works along with him were very personable and caring. They spent the time needed to get to know the patient (Journey) before 'the hoist'. I was able to help put her onto the table, into the foam, without too much ado. I watched Dr. John gently place her rear legs into the required position (full extension) for a good read, then stepped quickly out of the little room while he did the x-ray. He asked me to keep talking to her through the door to keep her calm.



Journey squirmed abit--it's such an unnatural position for any dog to be placed in at anytime by anyone--especially in a place that's foreign to them! That position is usually savoured by a very relaxed, sleepy dog in the comfort, privacy and security of its own den.


X-rays done, Journey was carefully guided off the table and placed back onto the floor.



It was done!!


We met in an examination room where Dr. John spent more time, discussing the results of the x-rays. He put them up on a monitor and patiently outlined the details...the depth of the ball in the socket, the tightness of the fit into the socket, the roundness of the ball, the lack of any arthritic changes--all very much desired in a hip evaluation!



Hip Hip Hooray!!




I will follow-up tomorrow--x-rays done...now what?
COMMENTS: 1
I relate to the nightmare with hip x-ray. Just been through that recently. I had to find a new vet clinic to my hips, since the one that has done mine for years is gone now. The new place I decided to try was a nightmare....so now I'm still looking!! At least you found a good one in the end. :o)
D.W.

No comments: