Monday, February 15, 2010

CAMELS and GOATS and LLAMAS--OH MY!

Since 2008, we in Ontario have celebrated 'Family Day', a provincial holiday, the third Monday in February. Communities across the province celebrate in different ways.


I couldn't help notice the street bustling with activity so early on a holiday morning as we headed down to the beach for our early morning exercise.

The restaurants full of families enjoying some time together, the stores open, bringing in much-needed revenue in one of the deadest months for any community that draws a great portion of its dollars from the summer-months tourist trade -good plan!

On the beach there are so many people wandering along the boardwalk it could be a day in July save for the cold wind and thin cover of snow still holding on.


Where all these owners and their dogs are other days remains a mystery to me but they're out in force today, taking advantage of the off-leash privileges we enjoy.


After meeting and greeting and playing with a select few, we head home via Kew Beach Park for some well-deserved breakfast.


Journey is leashed up but instead of heeling at my side, she's pulling me forward, her nose high in the air-scenting something....I check around for any raccoons who might be getting home later than they should be. Nope.


Perhaps an in-tact male has been here before us and left a pee-mail scent she's sussing out. Nope.

There's an excited urgency in her movement now as she drags me along behind her. As we round the corner I understand.


There, at the top of the park, are two camels. There's a whole petting zoo as part of the Family Day celebrations.

Forgiving Journey my throbbing shoulder, we move toward the area. Journey is now beside herself with wonder. I guess she always thought she was the biggest animal in this park!


Dogs always greet the scent of an unknown species with joy and bafflement. I can almost hear the wheels going round in Journey's brain as she tries to categorize these creatures. Her predator instinct kicks in and she realizes this is prey....somewhat daunting in stature though!


I love to see any dog connect with its inner-hunter-function and instinct in balance! Unfortunately there are far too few people who will ever experience this magic with their dogs.

Journey has now pulled herself up to taller than her full height, jowls puffing, nose quivering, shaking with excitement as we draw nearer.


I'm not a fan of petting zoos. There's no joy at all for me in watching these magnificent creatures in a pen smaller than I'd ever consider keeping anything larger than a guinea pig in. There are people three-deep around every pen, kids prodding the animals and poking them with whatever is handy.

My heart cries silently as I watch a kid with her father sitting on one of the camels. She is complaining because her ice cream has fallen off the cone and is slowly dribbling down the camel's coat.

Journey's nose is poking through the fence gathering information on these monsters who've invaded her park.

We visit the alpacas-with their dark brown liquid pools for eyes.


We stay a safe distance from the llamas, who are known chargers. They make it clear they are not intimidated in the least by Journey's inquisitiveness and will take care of her if she crosses the line!


The goats were for the most part friendly enough with her, although when the female started to paw the ground and lower her head, I realized I'd best move Journey back a safe distance.


An announcement came over a loud speaker letting us know the doggy dress-up contest was starting at the gazebo in the center of the park.


We opted out of that and left the crowds, heading home.

Journey was exhausted when we got home. After filling her belly, she curled up wearily. Her whimperings and movements as she lay sleeping told me she was free now to give chase to those camels and goats and llamas---oh my!

No comments: