Thursday, April 23, 2009

Q & A's


I breed my girls occasionally, that is, once in each of their lives, I breed them to a dog who I feel will not only be a good phenotype match but will bring longevity, health and temperament into the mix. I do this mainly to keep a girl to carry on with. At one point I had grandmother, daughter and grand-daughter at one time. Ages 10 years, 5 and 2.

It's a very difficult road, this breeding. So many variables--any number of things can go wrong no matter what health tests have preceded, no matter how many hours have been spent doing pedigree work, no matter how healthy both male and female are. Unfortunately, it's not an exact science. It's a miracle as I see it.

Then once the puppies have been safely delivered into the world and all is well, it only remains so for a short period of 8 weeks....until I have to deal with people who are interested in taking a puppy home with them.


I had calls today from two women, both looking to add a Dane puppy to their families.

Caller # 1 tells me how much she is in love with Great Danes and has done all sorts of research on the Internet about the breed. She has a two-month-old and a five year-old, one boy-one girl. Neither she nor her husband have owned a dog before. So, I patiently answer her questions as best and as honestly as I can. 'Yes, you'll still have to take the dog out in a snowstorm or in the rain (after bundling up your 'other' kids ) for exercise. Nope, a backyard just isn't the be-all-to-end-all when it comes to healthy exercise and responsible ownership. 'Yes, a puppy at six months of age, weighing one hundred pounds can cause bodily harm to a youngster without meaning to.' After an hour with her, she listens to my answers, to what I am saying. I suggest it would probably be best to wait until the children are a few years older. She thanks me for taking the time, for putting things into perspective for her. She has decided to wait a few years.

A little bit of psychology doesn't hurt!

Caller # 2 wants a puppy now. She and her fiance are getting married in June, she's two-months pregnant and has a five-year-old child. She will be off on maternity leave for 9 months, after which she'll go back to work full-time. Yes, she will crate the puppy while at work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Her last dog, a seven-year-old Black Lab had to be given to someone who lives on a farm because it growled at her child. A Black Lab--growling?!? (hmm...wonder why?)
'No, sorry you won't be getting a puppy from me and no, I don't know anyone I can refer you to.'
I don't sell dogs as disposable items. Nor do I sell them for income with no thought to their future.

If I had a litter of twelve whining , bouncing-off-the-walls, pooping and peeing puppies at the moment, would I have agreed to sell to either caller #1 or 2...? Nope! A prospective puppy owner has to bring more to the water bowl than that! And a responsible breeder has to responsibly place his/her puppies.

No comments: